Razor Edge Pitbull is among the friendliest breeds because it was specifically developed for the pleasure of companionship, unlike the rest of the Pitbull breeds, which are often associated with dogfighting. In fact, Razor Edge Pitbull dogs were very carefully engineered to be athletic and muscular while being non-aggressive at the same time.
Today, they are a popular pet choice mainly because of their family-friendly attitude.
Let us explore their world in detail!
Did You know?Razor Edge Pitbulls are named after the Razor Edge kennel, where they were originally bred.
Razor Edge Pitbull Breed Overview
Razor Edge Pitbull Breed Overview
Other Name: Razor Edge Bully
Height: 16 to 21 inches
Weight: 60 to 85 lbs
Lifespan: 6 to 8 Years
Colors: Variety of dark color shades
Razor Edge Pitbull Appearance
Razor Edge Pitbull dogs are difficult to tell apart from the regular Pitbulls.
Overall, Razor Edge Pitbulls have an oversized head with a shorter muzzle and pointy ears. They are well-built like other Pitbulls and have a muscular physique, broad chest, and bulkier looks. However, their back is short, and their legs are more compact.
Their coat is short and smooth and comes in various dark color shades, the most common being black and white, dark brown, dark grey, or blue fawn.
Razor Edge Pitbull History
Razor Edge Pitbull dogs were first developed in the 1980s to craft a friendly breed having less prey drive and more bully characteristics. They are not a usual mixed dog breed like Pocket Pitbull, which is created by mixing two dog breeds, i.e., American Pitbull Terrier and Patterdale Terrier. Razor Edge Pitbull is created by mixing at least five different breeds. While it is not exactly known which dog breeds were used in their development, it is widely believed that they most likely include the American Pitbull Terrier, the American Bulldog, the Mastiff, and the English Bulldog.
Hence, despite having Pitbull in their name, they are not 100% Pitbull. However, the breed has become so unique that it is considered a separate entity. You cannot simply mix American Pitbull Terrier with a Bull Mastiff and expect the born puppies to be Razor Edge puppies. Instead, Razor Edge puppies have to come from the specific razor Edge bloodline.
The American Kennel Club (AKC) does not recognize the Razor Edge Pitbull breed. Nevertheless, the American Bully Kennel Club (ABKC) has recognized it.
Razor Edge Pitbull Personality and Temperament
Razor Edge Pitbull dogs are wrongly thought to be one of the aggressive dog breeds just because they have the word Pitbull in their names and have an intimidating muscular buildup. However, they are not aggressive at all. In fact, they are quite friendly and ideal companion pets.
Even Pitbulls are not the most vicious dog breeds; Pitbulls involved in dogfighting and bullbaiting are a thing of the past. If raised well and socialized properly at a young age, Pitbulls of all sorts can make great pets.
Coming back to Razor Edge Pitbulls, the following traits provides the best picture of their personalities:
- Affectionate: They are very adoring and playful, especially with the children, provided they are effectively socially trained. They are so friendly that they might end up licking the intruder instead of harming him.
- Social: They can easily adapt to new places. This particular trait is also a reason why Razor Edge Pitbulls are very famous all across the United States.
- Non-Aggressive: They are non-violent—the breeders tried their best to make Razor Edge Pitbulls as tame as possible. Though they usually bark at the stranger or someone new to them, they do so usually only out of excitement and not due to aggression.
- Destructive: They are somewhat fond of chewing and digging, especially when they are bored. Make sure to get your dog a chewable dog toy so that he spares your furniture.
Razor Edge Pitbull Exercise Requirements
Though Razor Edge Pitbull dogs are very active, athletic, and playful, they do not require much workout. As a matter of fact, they get tired pretty quickly – mostly within half an hour. Therefore, two daily medium walks and an interactive session would be enough for your dog.
You should focus on the mental training of your dog as well. Although Razor Edge Pitbulls are only moderately intelligent, not providing them with adequate mental stimulation can lead to excessive barking and destructive behavior. That is why it is recommended to engage your dog in mental activities as much as possible. You can get your dog a food puzzle, which offers a tasty reward for your furry friend after successfully completing the challenge.
Razor Edge Pitbull Training Requirements
Razor Edge Pitbull dogs are very easy to train, mainly because they are not stubborn at all. Being somewhat intelligent, they are also very good at picking commands.
However, to make the training more effective and easier, pay attention to the following recommendations:
- Due to their problems of selective hearing and overexcitement—especially in the presence of other dogs, obedience training should be carried out as a priority.
- Always offer your dog treats after a good training session. It can enhance his morale and make him work even more efficiently the next time. If he is experiencing weight issues, you can try out ways of training dogs without treats.
- You should provide socialization training to your dog as soon as possible. This can further burnish his already friendly nature.
- Always be patient during the training sessions and never get frustrated. It takes time to train a pooch.
- Do not shout at or scold your dog because it can induce fear in him, causing him to disobey the commands.
Razor Edge Pitbull Dietary Needs
Razor Edge Pitbull dogs are energetic, have a muscular physique, and thus require a handsome amount of high-quality dog food every day.
Since Razor Edge Pitbull dogs weigh about 70 lbs., they need about 1,050 calories every day. However, dogs with lesser weight require fewer calories.
Also, note that Razor Edge Pitbulls are quite fond of eating. Hence, you should be very careful while feeding your dog so that he might not become obese from overeating.
Razor Edge Pitbull Grooming Requirements
Because of their short and smooth coat, they are one of the dog breeds that don’t shed much and thus have very few grooming requirements.
Razor Edge Pitbull dogs need brushing every week to keep their coat smooth and shiny. It can also keep the debris, dirt, and fallen hair away from the coat.
You should start grooming your Razor Edge Pitbull at a younger age to make him accustomed to it.
To prevent oral diseases and bring shine to his teeth, you should brush your dog’s teeth at least twice every week with good-quality dog toothpaste. Also, keep his nail trimmed to make his paws look dapper.
Razor Edge Pitbull Ear Cropping
Pitbull’s ears are cropped to make them look pointy and give the dog a visually aesthetic look. Besides the appearance, there is no other advantage associated with it. In fact, it may be detrimental to their health, behavior, and well-being in the short- and long -term.
That said, many of the Razor Edge Pitbulls have naturally cropped ears, giving the dog a perfect look!
Razor Edge Pitbull Health Problems
Razor Edge Pitbulls are generally healthy owing to the diverse pool of genes. However, despite this variety, the following conditions may be prevalent in them:
- Hip Dysplasia: Hip dysplasia is caused by the difference in the growth rates between the acetabulum and the femur head, thus causing pain and limping in dogs.
- Eye Diseases: Razor Edge Pitbulls are prone to cone-rad dystrophy 1 and cataracts. The former is a recessive genetic disease that can cause blindness. On the other hand, the latter is also an inherent disease but cannot cause blindness.
- Ichthyosis: It is the roughening of skin, which then gets covered with greasy flakes. It is caused by a recessive genetic mutation.
- Hypothyroidism: It is the disease that causes the thyroid gland to malfunction, which ultimately leads to slower bodily functions.
- Brachycephalic Airway Syndrome: It occurs in dogs with short facial bones – hence, they become very sensitive to anything that affects their breathing system.
You can effectively reduce the risk of the above-discussed health complications in your Razor Edge dog by adhering to the following recommendations:
- Never miss the annual vet visit.
- Always get your Razor Edge puppy from a reputed breeder and ask for health testing results.
- You should always be on the lookout for signs of sickness in dogs.
- You should check their ears and eyes regularly so that you can catch them early if they are developing an ear infection or an eye infection.
Razor Edge Pitbull Pros and Cons
The benefits and drawbacks of owning a Razor Edge Pitbull can be summed up in the following table of comparison:
Friendly with children: Razor Edge Pitbulls are no different from regular Pitbulls when it comes to affection towards kids. Due to this trait, they are also called ‘Nanny Dogs’.
Social: They are quite sociable and do not tend to be aggressive towards people or other dogs.
Relatively Healthy: Thanks to their diverse gene pool, they are overall a healthy dog breed.
Pitbull Stigma: Due to their intimidating looks, Razor Edge Pitbull dogs are considered to be aggressive and dangerous.
Expensive: Purchasing a Razor Edge Pitbull can be very costly because of specific breeding.
Lack of Street Understanding: They do not understand the cars and, thus, are at a high risk of being overrun when they are on the road, unleashed.
Thanks to selective and careful breeding, razor Edge Pitbull is a relatively new and friendly version of the Pitbull breed. Moreover, they are sturdy and have various coat colors, making them look even more appealing. They have all the desirable personality traits for a good family and companion dog. Likewise, they do not require much exercise, and training them is not an issue. However, one needs to be careful about the health problems and their basic care.