If you visit Germany, you might notice that Germans have somewhat unique and unusual names (unusual in terms of pronunciation!). But rooted in great family pride and histories, their meanings are amazing.
Perhaps you have a German horse breed or are just inspired by the uniqueness of the German horse names and want to give your steed a unique German horse name. But you are finding it a bit difficult. Well, worry not, just giddy-up and ride through our list of over 250 impressive German horse names.
Popular German Horse Names
|Adette||Sweet and noble||Bren||Flame|
|Annike||Grace||Delmar||The one who came from the sea|
|Clarissa||Bright and clear||Hulbert||Elegant|
|Elsa||Pledged to God||Johann||God is gracious|
|Heidi||Noble||Manfred||A man of peace|
|Isle||Consecrated to God||Ryker||Rich|
|Magda||High tower||Alexander||Defender of mankind|
German Horse Names Based on Nature
There is nothing more inspiring than Mother Nature! Hence, if you are closer to nature, you may want to give your steed a name inspired by the nature surrounding you. Here are some awesome German horse names based on nature for both male and female equines:
- Adawolf – Noble wolf
- Ame – Eagle
- Antoine – Flower
- Barnard – Strong as a bear
- Baum – Tree
- Berg – Mountain
- Bernadine – Courageous as a bear
- Blume – Flower
- Brock – Badger
- Eberhard – Brave boar
- Erde – Earth
- Evelyn – Little bird
- Florian – Blooming
- Holz – Wood
- Kiefer – Pine tree
- Kranich – Crane
- Laurel – Sweet bay tree
- Leonard- Bold as a lion
- Leslie – Small meadow
- Lilli – A type of flower
- Rima – White antelope
- Stein – Stone
- Wald – Forest
- Welle – Wave
- Yara – Little butterfly
German Horse Names Based on Colors
|Alvi||White or blonde||Brun||Dark-skinned|
|Fiona||White and fair||Brunon||Brown|
|Gris||Grey warrior||Burel||Reddish-brown hair|
|Griswald||A woman from the grey woodland||Duncan||Brown warrior|
|Kea||White||Kerry||Son of the black one|
|Lela||Black beauty||Korbinian||Dark as a raven|
German Horse Names Signifying Strength
Thanks to the German vocab full of names denoting power and toughness, here are the names you can assign to your steed to make it sound like a medieval warhorse!
|Alfonsine||Eager for battle||Adalard||Courageous|
|Aloisa||A famous warrior||Alaric||Leader|
|Gerhardina||Mighty with a spear||Hardy||Strong|
|Griselda||Gray battle maiden||Hedwig||The strong one|
|Irmina||Goddess of war||Herman||Warrior|
|Louana||Graceful warrior||Konrad||Brave counsel|
|Louisa||A famous warrior||Loring||Famous for battle|
|Neva||Leader of the tribe||Lothar||An army of fame|
|Tilda||The mighty one in battle||Hartman||Strong|
|Truda||Fighting woman||Eno||Strong with a sword|
|Zelda||Fighting in darkness||Ken||Handsome|
Dressage German Horse Names
As show horses, dressage horses are used for competition in front of a large group of spectators. Therefore, such steeds are dainty and graceful, and the name they get – something memorable and catchy – must reflect this personality. Based on this requirement, here is a list of German dressage horse names:
- Frau: The German word for Mr. and Mrs.
- Hase: The German word for rabbit
- Maus: The German word for mouse given ironically to horses
- Porsche: A luxury car brand from Germany
- Wanda: Wanderer in German
- Ziggy: Word for protector
German Horse Names Based on Geographical Locations
With beautiful mountains, valleys, rivers, forests, and bustling cities, Germany is indeed a great attraction on the European continent. German horse breeds are no less – you can match the beauty of the two by selecting a perfect name, denoting both the origin and beauty of your pet friend by selecting a name for it inspired by places in Germany.
Here is the list:
- Bavaria: A state in southeast Germany.
- Berlin: The capital of Germany, Berlin has a lot of beautiful historical places.
- Black Forest: It is a beautiful place in the western part of the country.
- Danube: A river that rises in the Black Forest mountains of Western Germany.
- Elbe: A famous river between Germany and the Czech Republic.
- Hamburg: Besides being a name of a city, it is a cute name for horses.
- Harz: A highland in Germany with a lot of tourist attractions.
- Munich: Home of Oktoberfest, it is a famous city.
- Rhine: A famous river that would make for a romantic name for your horse.
- Sylt: It is a popular island with beautiful beaches.
German Horse Names Based on History
There are a lot of famous people associated with Germany, making it a good option for naming your steed. Some of them are:
- Beethoven: Ludwig von Beethoven is one of the greatest musical geniuses
- Boss: After Hugo Boss, a famous German fashion designer
- Einstein: Famous physicist, well known for devising the theory of relativity. There is a famous Einstein horse—the smallest horse in the world.
- Heidi Klum: German-American model and host
- Tolle: After Eckhart Tolle, a famous German spiritual teacher
- Kafka: For Franz Kafka, a famous German writer
- Bismarck: After Otto von Bismarck, a famous German statesman
- Wolfgang: After Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, a famous German writer, and critic
- Kriemhild: A legendary German hero
- Gutenberg: After Johannes Gutenberg, the inventor of the printing press
- Bach: A famous composer of the Baroque era
- Nietzsche: After Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher
German Horse Names Based on Food Items
- Botel: Boiled port famous in north Germany
- Brezel: A baked pastry shaped into a knot
- Dinette: A baked traditional German dish that looks like pizza
- Geflite: A type of fish used as an appetizer
- Knipp: A German sausage
- Pickert: A flat dumpling made of potato
Miscellaneous German Horse Names
|Anka||Purse||Aldo||Wise and old|
|Arabelle||Beautiful eagle||Alger||Clever warrior|
|Aubrey||Noble||Alphonse||Ready for battle|
|Beatrix||One who brings happiness||Arnold||Strong as an eagle|
|Britta||Strength||Barret||Strong like bear|
|Claudia||Enclosure||Bernard||Brave as bear|
|Cologne||A city in Germany||Callus||Victory people|
|Frieda||Peaceful ruler||Dedrick||People’s ruler|
|Fritzi||Peaceful ruler||Deutsche||The German language|
|Gretel||Sister of Hensel||Ebba||Strong as bear|
|Jaeger||Hunter||Goulash||Stew of meat|
|Kaja||Alive||Hans||God is gracious|
|Klara||Bright||Heinrich||The home belongs to the king|
|Lena||Shiny||Herr||German for mister|
|Leona||Brave like a lioness||Hertz||Kind-hearted|
|Liebe||Love||Hund||Dog in German|
|Lienling||Darling in German||Imre||Great king|
|Lola||Lady of sorrows||Kaiser||Emperor|
|Milo||Form of miles||Norbert||Hero|
|Ozzy||Divine spear||Rolf||Famous wolf|
|Sasha||Defender of mankind||Rowland||A famous one in the island|
|Selma||Divine protector||Rudy||Famous wolf|
|Ursula||Little female bear||Walter||Army ruler|
|Wanda||Wanderer||Yohann||Form of Johan|
Tips on Selecting German Horse Names
You must consider the following when naming your horse:
- Choose the name best suited to the personality and appearance of your steed, as these two features may not change throughout the lifetime of your horse.
- You can also go for funny horse names, but make sure that the one you select is not offensive.
- It is recommended to use dressage horse names only if your horse is an active participant in such activities.
- Try using a name for a few days and if it sounds like a perfect fit for your steed, finalize it. Otherwise, you can keep on trying different names until you find the perfect fit.